Thursday, February 15, 2007

Feeling accepted

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday. When we happen to broach the subject of child abuse, she started by saying, "What happened to you was wrong, very wrong". I noted how fulfilling it was to hear that. No, it wasn't the usual, "I don't believe it happened", expressing astonishment. It wasn't a, "I believe you", which while way better than the former, still feels empty. It is the strongest acknowledgment I could ever ask for.

By uttering those words, she not only acknowledged that I had gone through it, but also recognized that injustice was done. I doubt I would have done the same in her place. It takes a lot of maturity and understanding that goes beyond one's own experience. She bridged that gap. That makes me appreciate her friendship a lot more. Most of all, it makes me trust her even more.

As for today, I'm still feeling tired from yesterday's EMDR. There are emotional swells that bring me to the verge of crying. So far, I've tried to be in the moment.

No comments: