Monday, February 5, 2007

Disturbing

I saw this on ABC last Friday. I couldn't watch the whole think. Here they follow the suicide note of a guy who was sexually abused as a kid by a lot of people including his own mother. This is really really disturbing. It is called Revenge Against Religious Sect. It is sad that the kid had to kill himself. Having seen the documentary, although only partially, it makes me feel all the more better about myself for not having to have gone through all that. Perhaps "feel all the more blessed" is the right way to say it. I'm not sure.

It stimulates feelings of anger and frustration in me. Not revenge, for I see even the predators as simply "messed up". I really pity them sometimes. No, I cannot forgive them for what they do, but I can still feel sorry for them. What if it were just a chemical imbalance and they are truly just helpless inside? I mean, depression is sometimes simply a chemical imbalance, so are a lot of mental disorders. What if the predator is only one side of a multiple personality disorder? I suppose I'm thinking in terms of Dr. Jekyll and Hyde. What if? Does it then make it right to punish them? Or, should we as a society help them?

Does pressing charges really help? Shouldn't we be spending more time in educating, meaning dealing with them for real, instead of simply hiding and isolating them away from the society? Is this really justice? I'm not saying pressing charges is unjust. Wouldn't it be better to have one predator turned to the other side and have them fight against others? Is jail term the best way to do this? Could we use their guilt (if they have it) to do something more productive? We have to remember everything that there is, is both good and bad. All of life is a two edged sword. Perhaps it is important to point both edges away from us instead of simply hiding one edge and pretending it is a one-sided sword. That can be a dangerous game to play.

No comments: