Friday, January 19, 2007

Speaking in the listener's language

So far this day has turned out very interesting. First there was a realization about my self-blame. Soon afterwards, I got an email from a rather anxious א. My reply email appears to have impressed her so much that she had to call and thank me. I'm finally starting to understand what people hear when I say the things I say. I'm suddenly having this glimpse of what the subtext of what people are saying is. More than that, it is about what they need to hear. It doesn't mean I'm able to answer them easily. Right now, email seems better suited, since I can think and say what I really mean to say instead of just saying something. No, it is not about saying what they want to hear, but it is about conveying what I want to say in better terms. In a sense, it is speaking in the listener's language. This works better when emailed. In direct conversation, I'm pretty much in the throw of things, myself. It is a process. I'm starting out on it.

Another interesting thing that has been happening is that I'm starting to "understand" M. He and I have never, looked straight in the eye, so to speak. But I think that is improving. He volunteer's information as I start to do the same. Interesting.

There is more I want to add, but I think that deserves a separate post in and of itself.

No comments: