Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A new beginning

Here I'm, watching a Frontline movie (Hand of God) on child abuse. It is bringing back my own memories. More than that, it is giving me courage to post about it online. So, here I'm blogging about my broken childhood.

I find Hand of God pretty evocative. Here is the introduction:

In "Hand of God," filmmaker Joe Cultrera explores the very personal story of how his brother -- Paul -- was molested in the 1960s by their parish priest, Father Joseph Birmingham, who allegedly abused nearly 100 other children. Producer Joe Cultrera tells the story of faith betrayed and how his brother Paul and the rest of the Cultrera family fought back against a scandal that continues to afflict scores of churches across the country.

"I was inspired by my brother's strength of spirit in surviving his abuse," says Joe Cultrera. "His story was unlike any I had seen in the media. I thought a detailed film about his and my family's experience would prove healing and freeing for others."

[...]

At 14, Paul, an altar boy at St. James Parish, came under the guidance of Fr. Birmingham. Birmingham was young and friendly, often taking the boys on trips and inviting them to the rectory for Friday and Saturday night pizza parties. It was during confession that Paul's relationship with Fr. Birmingham changed. Confessing to masturbation led to private "counseling" sessions at the rectory, where Paul was sexually abused. Birmingham also abused him during nighttime rides in Birmingham's black Ford Galaxie and on trips out of town.

"When you're totally wrapped up in the environment of sin and guilt, you internalize it yourself. At least I did. I decided it was my fault. It was something the matter with me," says Paul. "You think you've done something really bad. So you become very adept at drawing a huge circle around that part of your life."

[...]

"The film created an opportunity for my family to deal with these issues in a very intimate way," says Joe. "We have emerged as a more understanding unit. One of my hopes is that the film will inspire other families to talk."

While there was no priest in my childhood. There was a sufficiently powerful figure involved. Perhaps one day I'll have the courage to post my story and face next to each other. To me this story shows me another male child abuse survivor, who came out and put his face and voice where his story is. That is where I wish to be, some day! And one day perhaps I'll be able to share this with my family and expect understanding in return!

No comments: