Thursday, January 25, 2007

Rape & Injustice

As I was reading BBC news on the South Asian section, I found this India rape accused weds 'victim'. How horrible is that? A few years ago, I might have thought that was appropriate justice. That is what the movies have said. That is exactly what I've been told to believe in. No, not anymore. It must really be horrible for that girl who is in that marriage, even though she might believe this is the best thing that can happen, as I did a few years ago.

If I think back on it, it is all because of the societal pressures on a non-virgin unwed girl. Yes, a non-virgin girl cannot be married to "another" guy. And, however horrible the guy might be, it is the responsibility and duty of the woman to make sure that the family goes on. It is important that she adjust to his needs... no whims and fancies. This is utter horrible. This makes me angry. As Ms. Walia says, shame on the court. Shame on the judicial system -- the judges, the prosecutors and whoever is involved in this heinous crime.

On a similar note, here is another such audacious proposal. Kudos to the woman who rejected it.

No comments: