Friday, August 17, 2007

What's going on, really?

I'm starting to wonder what is really happening with me. I'm so out of my meditation practice. I have been skipping quite a few yoga classes as well. Yet, I'm feeling fine (ish), except for the occasional turmoils which last less than 5 minutes. I've not seen my therapist in more than 2 months! It makes me wonder, "what is going on, really?"

I'm worried I'm simply in denial, or keeping myself distracted. It seems very easy to be distracted with grad school noose tightening around my neck pretty tight. Am I doing what I have always done -- to immerse myself in school work to escape the brutal reality? I don't know... On the one hand, the answer is yes. On the other, I don't think I'm that person anymore. I notice my troubles, acknowledge them, mindfully accept the pain/sadness associated with it,... Face it, rather than run away from it,... Do tong len, if necessary. But I never really "sit" to mediate. I take the practice with me that's all. Despite such an utter lack of meditation and yoga (my only form of physical exercise), I haven't gotten depressed in more than a month. Yes, I have a few moments here and there, but not whole days or even half-a-day!

I've been in a similar situation several times before, albeit shorter, they never turned out to be fine; Instead, they all turned out to be the calm before the storm. While I hope that this time be different, there is an innate fear that something must go wrong, or already be wrong... it is too good to be true. I'm feeling anxious.

1 comment:

Karma said...

Consider reading Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience by Sharon Salzberg. Its a Buddhist book about these sorts of experiences.

Anyway, I hope that you are able to savor the good times and stay in the present instead of fearing the future.