Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Freaking out at intimacy

I was watching an episode (Florida) of Law and Order: SVU (Special Victims Unit) today. Towards the end, there was a scene that struck a chord with me and my life; rather, my own experience. There is a dramatic stand-off where Benson, the lead female protagonist in the show, explains how when a girl is kissed by a boy, she doesn't freak out. Later she explores the possibility that the girl was molested as a child.

This reminded me of myself freaking out when I kissed for the first time. I was confused. It was exciting for the most part and intimidating at the same time. It was more so when the girl I was dating wanted to have sex. I totally freaked out and I could not and did not go on with it. It still worries me that I might never be able to overcome it.

I presume some of you had similar experiences. I'd like to hear what your reaction was.

1 comment:

Karma said...

Of course I've had similiar incidences. I've had experiences where I get freaked out - and others where my desire for sex is clearly somehow related to me trying to regain control over my sexuality (but in an unhealthy way). It has gotten better over the years, but I CERTAINLY have not overcome it.